Frequently Asked Questionsadmin

Q: Who can purchase products at Main Street Marijuana?

A: Anyone over 21 years old with a valid ID. You do not need to have a medical marijuana card and you do not need to be a Washington resident.

Q: Do you accept credit or debit cards?

A: We are cash only, but have an ATM for your convenience.

Q: How much marijuana can I purchase?

A: You can purchase up to one ounce (28 grams) of marijuana at one time at our store.

Q: How is a gram of marijuana, in practical terms?

A: One gram is enough for a decent sized joint, or – depending on the size of your pipe – about three or four small to medium bowls worth. There are 3.5 grams in an eighth, 7 grams in a quarter, and 14 in a half ounce.

Q: How much marijuana can I posess in Washington?

A: In Washington, people age 21 and older can possess up to one ounce of marijuana flower, 16 ounces of infused products in solid form, 72 ounces of infused products in liquid form.

Q: Where can I smoke marijuana?

A: For now, in both Washington and Oregon, you can only use marijuana at a private residence. If you use marijuana in a public place, you may be fined up to $1,000. Some hotels and “bud and breakfast” resorts allow their guests to smoke, but you’ll want to call and check first. Smoking lounges (similar to bars for marijuana) are banned in Washington state for now, and it’s unclear whether they will be legal in Oregon.

Q: Where can I learn more about marijuana rules in Washington?

A: The Washington State Liquor Control Board has detailed information about marijuana rules here:

Q: Do you sell plant seeds, starts or clones?

A: We are a recreational marijuana shop. We can’t sell seeds, starts or clones under I-502 law. Some medical dispensaries and online companies sells seeds and starts, but we have no list or recommendations.

Q: I'm having issues with my vape cartridge, what can I do?

A: We can’t take returns or exchanges under I-502 law. However, you can contact the manufacturer if you have questions. Most of our manufacturers’ information is listed in our Grower Profiles section here: Our main vape providers are Interra Oils, Jackpot Seaweed and Evergreen/EZ Vape.

Q: I have a product I'm not happy with, what can I do?

A: Unfortunately under I-502 law we can’t take returns or exchanges. If you have a problem with a specific item, we suggest contacting the grower or processor (for a list of our growers, check here: We highly recommend checking your purchases before leaving the store. If you have further questions, please email

Q: I have a question that isn't covered in this FAQ. Who can I ask?

A: Feel free to send an email with your question to us at